How to reset the SRS airbag light on a 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001 and 2002 Honda Accord, Honda Civic, Honda Prelude and Honda CRV. This might also work on other models and years.
How to Fix an SRS Light on Honda Accord, Civic, Prelude and CRV.
The SRS light on a Honda accord is an indication that there is a problem with the Supplemental Restraint System. Well, there could be a problem. Honda Accord, Civic, Prelude and CRV all are known to have continuous problems with the SRS system. In my Accord, resetting the light will keep the SRS light out for an average of 10,000 miles. At that point I reset the SRS system again.
There are several different reasons that the SRS light could illuminate on your Honda. You could have a sensor problem in the seat, steering wheel or the computer. The only way to know for sure is to take your car to a Honda dealership. If the computer shows a problem, the SRS light will not reset on its own.
How can the SRS Light be Reset?
If you're like me and don't want to spend hundreds of dollars to have the SRS (airbag system) repaired then you might want to try fix the problem yourself.
How to Reset the SRS light on a Honda Accord, Civic or CRV.
WARNING: you will be doing things to your car that could possibly be dangerous and cause injuries. Do not use this article to accomplish the task yourself. Only a certified Honda mechanic can reset an SRS light. I am only providing the way that I reset the SRS light on my Honda accord and suggest that you do not try this yourself!!!
DO NOT DO THIS YOURSELF!!! TAKE YOUR CAR TO A CERTIFIED HONDA MECHANIC!!!
Here are the steps that I use to reset the SRS light on my 2000 Honda Accord.
1. The plug is located below the dash on the drivers side. It is against the right side plugged into a panel. It does not have an electrical connection to that panel. I leave mine unplugged and hanging for easy access if I need to reset the SRS light again.
2. You will need a paperclip, piece of wire or something that can easily be used to short out the plug. I use a paperclip. With the key off, connect the paperclip to both ends of the plug. I am connecting the circuit in a specific order to reset the SRS light.
3. Hold the wires together (short it) while you turn the ignition on (turn key to on position, not start). The SRS light will come on for a couple seconds and then go out.
4. When the SRS light goes off, disconnect (un-short) the wires.
5. The SRS light comes on again, connect the wires again.
6. The SRS light will then turn off. Disconnect the wires. The SRS light should blink twice and your SRS light and system will be reset.